What is the Full Form of PH
Full Form of PH
The full form of PH is “Potential Hydrogen”. PH is known as the negative logarithm of H+ ion concentration. Hence the meaning of the name pH is explained as the strength of hydrogen. PH describes the concentration of the hydrogen ions in a solution and it is the indicator of the acidity or basicity of the solution. The range of a PH scale varies from 0 to 14. Know more at Wiki.
PH of Acid and Base
Earlier we discussed the full form of PH. Here we will try to understand the PH values for both Acid and Base. The pH of the solution range from 0 to 14.
- Solutions with a pH value varying from 0 to 7 on the pH scale are called acidic solutions.
- Solution with a pH value ranging from 7 to 14 is known as basic solutions.
- On a pH scale, solutions with a potential hydrogen value equivalent to 7 are known as neutral solutions.
- Solutions with a pH value of 0 are considered to be extremely acidic. Additionally, the acidity decreases as the pH value increase from 0 to 7 while solutions with a pH value equal to 14 are known to be strongly alkaline solutions. Earlier we discussed the full form of PH. The acid and base intensity depends on the number of H+ and OH– ions produced. Acids furnishing more H+ ions are known to be strong acids, and vice versa.
- It represents the ratio of Hydronium ions (H3O) to Hydroxide ions (OH). It is a measure of the acidity and alkalinity of a solution. Aqueous solutions at 25°C i.e. with a pH less than seven are acidic, while those with a pH greater than seven are basic or alkaline. A pH level of is 7.0 at 25°C is defined as ‘neutral’ because the concentration of H3O+ equals the concentration of OH− in pure water.
Importance of PH
Till now in this article, we have covered the full form of PH and the range of PH values. Now we will learn about the importance of PH. The full form of PH is above section.
- A living organism can withstand only a limited range of pH changes, and any more pH adjustments will make life difficult. For example: in the case of acid rain, the pH of the water is less than 7. It increases the pH of river water as it flows into a river which hinders the survival of marine life.
- The human stomach contains hydrochloric acid, which helps the digestion of the food. Because the stomach releases so much HCL we feel a lot of pain and discomfort during indigestion. It would be minimized by using antacids.
- Often the bacteria present in our mouth lower the pH of our mouth by generating acids by food particle degradation. Therefore, by maintaining the pH, we are told to clean our mouths with toothpaste that is basic to prevent their decay.
- In the case of bee sting, we feel a lot of pain when the bee injects the methanoic acid through its sting. Therefore, we are usually recommended to apply baking soda or other mild bases to the surface because it helps to maintain the surface PH.
KitabDukan is a startup that stands on a vision to create an ecosystem for students where they can get good quality books for several top exams of India like JEE, books for JEE, books for NEET preparation, UPSC specific books, SSC top book collection, and many more. We at KitabDukan have the vision to create a smooth platform for students and professionals together to connect them on a single platform to make the learning and teaching process very unique and smooth. We have connected several top institutes of Jaipur, Patna, Banaras, and other cities for exams like JEE, UPSC, SSC, Banking, Railways, and many more exams. We focus to provide a good quality of books and handwritten notes all over India by which the students who belong to the low economy section can also get notes and books at their place through us. KitabDukan aims to become a platform to become an all-time solution for students all over India.
What KitabDukan Offers
We at KitabDukan avail the complete notification related to the examination. We provide a space on our website where they can find the previous year’s question papers. Also, we have a collection of the quality book which they can buy from our website to prepare well. We also provide full-time customer care support to our premium users through a career counseling program.
Note: – At KitabDukan, We avail the complete information starting from the latest exam notification, and complete syllabus, and then we provide you the complete list of important books which are needed for exams. In this article, we have demonstrated the full form of PH along with the needful information related to PH.