What is the Full Form of DDT
Full Form of DDT
The full form of DDT is “Dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane”. In agriculture, DDT is used as an insecticide. In 1972, the United States banned the use of DDT; however, the compound is still used by some nations in agriculture. For the prevention of lice, DDT was often used in the past. It is also in use to control mosquitoes that transmit malaria outside the United States and other countries. In the atmosphere and animal tissues, DDT and its associated chemicals survive for a long time. Know more here.
History of DDT
Earlier we discussed the full form of DDT and its uses. Here we are going to see the brief history of DDT.
- DDT was first synthesized in 1874 and it was used to suppress malaria as well as typhus among civilians & troops in the second period of world war two.
- Around 386 million pounds of DDT were manufactured worldwide in 1970.
- It was used most commonly as a spray in the U.S in 1959.
- Issues regarding the harmful effects of DDT on the atmosphere and living things were posed in the early 1970s.
- The United States In 1973, The Agency for Environmental Protection banned the use of DDT in the U. S.
Structure of DDT and its operation
Till now we have covered the full form of DDT and a brief history of DDT.
- C14H9Cl is the DDT molecular formula. It is strongly hydrophobic and not water-soluble and soluble in most organic solvents like fats, and oils.
- It is naturally formed by a chloral (CCl3CHO) interaction with chlorobenzene (C6H5Cl) in the presence of a sulphuric acid catalyst (H2SO4).
- If the plants are sprayed with DDT, the insects living on the crops are exposed to it. It damages the nerves of the bug, which leads to death eventually.
Effect of DDT
DDT will be a hazardous material and in humans, it contributes to a variety of diseases. After the full form of DDT and the history of DDT, we will see its effect of DDT.
- Breast cancer
- Liver cancer
- Cancer and tumor
DDT is a highly toxic and harmful chemical for a wide range of species, including mammals, birds, fish, and so on.
In some bird species, the thinning of eggshells and low reproductive rate are responsible for creating egg breakage as well as an embryo dying.
KitabDukan is a startup that stands on a vision to create an ecosystem for students where they can get good quality books for several top exams of India like JEE, books for JEE, books for NEET preparation, UPSC specific books, SSC top book collection, and many more. We at KitabDukan have the vision to create a smooth platform for students and professionals together to connect them on a single platform to make the learning and teaching process very unique and smooth. We have connected several top institutes of Jaipur, Patna, Banaras, and other cities for exams like JEE, UPSC, SSC, Banking, Railways, and many more exams. We focus to provide a good quality of books and handwritten notes all over India by which the students who belong to the low economy section can also get notes and books at their place through us. KitabDukan aims to become a platform to become an all-time solution for students all over India.
What KitabDukan Offers
We at KitabDukan avail the complete notification related to the examination. We provide a space on our website where they can find the previous year’s question papers. Also, we have a collection of quality book which they can buy from our website to prepare well. We also provide full-time customer care support to our premium users through a career counseling program.
Note: – At KitabDukan, We avail the complete information starting from the latest exam notification, and complete syllabus, and then we provide you the complete list of important books which are needed for exams. In this article, we have demonstrated the full form of DDT along with the needful information related to DDT.